Spring Sale - 10% off! There's no better time to take an online drivers ed course. For 10% off your course fee, use offer code SpringOde.
How to Get Your Florida Learner’s License
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles requires that new drivers who have never held a license before complete a Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education course in order to get a learner’s license.
Florida Learner’s License Requirements
In order to obtain for a Florida learner’s License you must:
- Be at least 15 years old
- Complete a Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education (TLSAE) Course
- Provide a parental consent form, if you are under 18, which must be signed in the presence of a driver license examiner or may be notarized if your parent or guardian will not be present
- Provide documents needed to establish your proof of identity, proof of social security number (if issued), and proof of residential address. Please visit GatherGoGet.com for information regarding these required documents
- Take a knowledge exam containing 50 multiple choice questions about traffic laws and signs. You must have 40 correct answers to pass (80%). If you do not pass on the first try, you will need to pay the knowledge exam retest fee.
- Take vision and hearing tests
- Pay the application fee for an Original Class E License, which includes your Learner’s License
Training With A Parent or Guardian
Florida law requires drivers holding a learner’s license to drive with a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old and occupies the front passenger seat at all times.
You may drive during daylight hours for the first three months you hold your permit. After three months, you may drive until 10 PM. You still cannot drive by yourself until you are at least 16 years old and have obtained your intermediate license.
You’ll need to complete at least 50 hours of behind the wheel driving experience, of which 10 hours must be at night. When you apply for your intermediate license, your parent or guardian will need to certify that you have completed the practice hours.